Over the past 4 weeks I’ve been trying to lead a better lifestyle, and ultimately to change my eating habits.
What you eat, and how much, is vital for your health and waistline. Choosing healthier foods is a lot easier than you might think. Within 4 weeks I lost around 5kg (12 pounds), all without a strict diet or having to give up the foods I love. Switching from full fat dairy products to low fat ones and have less sugar can really help.
When it comes to watching my weight, it’s not just how much I eat, but it’s the type of food I have. We all know too much fat or carbohydrates (white rice, white bread, white pasta, potatoes, pastries and desserts) are bad for us.
Discover how a healthy nutrition improved my wellbeing and helped me loose 5 kg within a few weeks.
- I limited some bad carbohydrates in my diet – I said a big NO to pasta (I used to have it every other day) and rice. Don’t get me wrong I could never give up pasta for good (I love Italian food), but I decided to have less of it.
- NO to processed food. Preparing and cooking your own food is usually cheaper than buying a takeaway or a ready to eat meal, and because it’s easier to control what goes in to your meal, it can be healthier.
- ‘Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dinner like a Pauper’. I think people are more likely to maintain their health if they eat this way. Not skipping breakfast had a major and positive effect on my weight. I usually have 2 boiled/poached free range organic eggs on toasted brown bread with wilted spinach and a coffee.
- NO food after 6PM. As a full time blogger, I spend most of the time at the office, with unlimited access to food. It is quite hard not to have a snack at 1AM (that’s when I write most of my articles), but if I’m really hungry I’ll have a yoghurt instead.
- Eat your greens! One of the quickest and most efficient ways to optimize your vegetable intake is to juice your green vegetables. The juice will help your body absorb all the nutrients from the vegetables by making them easily digestible. My favourite? Apple, lime and asparagus. I’ve also recently discovered Veggetti by JML, a great device that easily transforms your vegetables in spaghetti. It’s great for courgettes, squash, carrots, cucumber and even potatoes thanks to the dual stainless steel blades that cut thick or thin ribbons.
- I switched my cooking oil to a cooking spray. It’s a fine mist that you spray on the bottom of pans to ensure a non-stick surface when cooking, grilling or baking. I now use the Lotus Wok by JML for all my vegetable stir fries and for my favourite wilted spinach. Lotus Wok’s fantastic nano-silica coating makes it a non-stick pan, it’s water-repellent making it super easy to clean.
- Being more active will definitely improve your general health and wellbeing. Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day.
Are there any other things you think should be added to this list? I’d also love to hear how you keep yourselves motivated.